The Mansion's construction was well documented by the Washington County Post who had moved across from the Crocker Mansion –now the location of the Rice Mansion -in 1849. The following are extractions from Dave Thornton's book “A Monument to Success” In June of 1901 the Crocker Mansion was torn down to make way for the residence of Jerome B. Rice.
In mid October Horace Dobbs of South Cambridge had begun work on the frame of the mansion. By November 1 the roof of the Mansion was ready for slate, however by year end it was not completed-work was hindered by severe weather. At the end of June 1902 the exterior decorations were being applied. In September plasters were finally at work on the interior of the manse. An extended water tube is being sunk in the cellar for the hydraulic apparatus of the elevator, in October it was reported that the drilling was almost done.
In May the first coat of paint was ready to go on, but they had to wash the building first. H.G. Clark, proprietor of the Cambridge Hotel burned soft coal all winter and the soot coated the newly enclosed manse. At the end of July a hard rain splattered the red roof paint-it bled over the railing around the east portico-Rice had it done over.
In November the stone wall around the Mansion was completed. The grading of the front lawn was progressing, masons were at work on the stone posts and the painters and decorators were almost finished. The family moved into the manse January 1904. Small work continued into the summer of 1905 including curbing and iron gates at the entrance. Then on Wednesday, October 25, 1905 the Rice's hosted some 400 villagers or more—it is suggested that many arrived uninvited.Mr. Rice passed away in 1912 just eight years after the manse was completed and then Mrs. Rice passed on in 1918. Their legacy lives on and touches many, even today.